How to start and run your own business, 15 ECTS
: 225 € (VAT 0 €)
Application period: 01.10.2021 - 17.12.2021
: The course is entirely online except of the kick-off (10.1.2022) and the “ending event” (16.5.2022)
: Mia Halmén, Erica Adlercreutz, Linda Puukko
Required skills : Basic knowledge in excel and word, and access to these programs is required.
Target groups : The participants need to have a business idea and an intention to start a business, or have just recently started their business.
1. The participants need to have a business idea and an intention to start a business, or have just recently started their business. Course participants need to fill in their business idea when filling in the registration form and specify what kind of business/industry the idea relates to. This needs to be clearly stated somewhere in the text, that it is part of the registration to fill in the idea. Basic knowledge in excel and word, and access to these programs is required.
1. During the course the student will create a business plan for their business idea. The course will cover different themes that are relevant for starting a business and having a business plan. The different themes in the course will introduce the student to important concept in starting and running your own business, and thus provide support the next steps in being an entrepreneur. The different themes in the course are
a. Starting a new business
b. Forms of enterprise
c. Business vision + mission
d. Connection between logistics and profitability, delivery service
f. Market analysis
g. Purchasing, supplier management, contracts, terms of payment
h. Estimating demand and calculating unit price / Calculations
j. Staff and employment
k. Marketing plan
l. Stock management & calculations
m. Packaging logistics, numbers and codes
n. Accounting & financial statements
o. Sales, customer service and service orientation
p. Forwarding, transports and delivery terms
q. Profitability calculations
r. Social & corporate responsibility, impact assessment
s. Logistics and sustainability
The course content will be adapted to the types of business ideas students have.
Course is in English, but it is possible to send in assignments in English, Swedish and Finnish.
Course timetable will be sent separately to marketing.
1. Course consists of lectures, workshops, individual assignments and group discussions. Examination will be based on the business plan and different assignments during the course. The course centers around providing support for students creating their individual business plan.
2. If a person is thinking about starting a business and has an idea already, but unsure on taking the next step, this course offers a very hands-on take on what the next steps are in starting and running your own business. Alternatively, if a person recently has started a business, and need support in creating a business plan and running it.
3. People who have a business idea, and are thinking of what the next steps are, maybe have been afraid to take the next steps. Or would like to have knowledge and support on setting up their business. Maybe have just started a business and fell unsure on what the next steps of running it are. The type of business idea/business or industry does not matter – anything goes – important to have an idea.
4. The course will encourage to networking between the other participants, and providing peer-to-peer support.